found this in this manner: while posting an ad in seattle CL saying experienced nyc art model vising looking to schedule paid shoots!, i looked at what some other posts in the seattle CL artists section said. and this gal from toronto doing this zany project had posted there… her blog. i like the name: http://letsberighthere.blogspot.com/
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: THE SOUL PROJECT
I am currently working on three distinct collaborative projects and I would appreciate your participation if you feel your heart is in it. Your heart really has to be IN it though. It can’t work without you. You matter. You exist to me. You are something of importance. I will mention the first project here, as I am eager to begin. I know it may sound silly, but yes, I am serious.
I am collecting souls. I am looking for individuals that are willing to give me their soul for one year. Don’t worry. You will still exist. Think about what a soul actually means. Your soul may come to me in anything. It must be contained in some sort of package. You can stuff it into a jar, you can give it to me in a locket, you can mail it to me in an envelope, you can bake it in a pie and I will consume it if you wish. I am open to you. I am willing to cater to your needs. If you are a friend, then great. If you are a stranger to me, wonderful. I do not need to know you at all to get to know your soul. If you are interested in the project, then here are the steps. If not, thank you for reading this far:
* PLEASE NOTE: I have gotten a lot of response already. This excites me! I am excited that you are excited! There is a bit of confusion I am finding however. I am not interested in animism. I do not want your soul to become a physical object that you give to me. I would like you to put your soul into a container, and give me the container that has your soul inside. I will not be opening the container, nor will I be showing anyone the contents of the container. I do not want to release your soul or see what it actually is. I am interested in the vessel and your description, as well as taking care of it, and placing it where you ask. The vessel will be in an installation in about one year. The container can be anything you wish and should reflect the nature of your soul.
1. Mail me your soul, in it’s container, or arrange to leave it in a location where I can find it. I do not want to meet you or see you when I receive the parcel.
2. Please include a note with a description of what your soul looks like.
3. Please include another note with a description of where you feel your soul should be kept in my home for one year. If your soul has any specific needs (does it need to be spoken to, does it need to be watered, does it need to interact with another soul in my house, etc.) please include these instructions as well. Please only request what your soul actually needs.
4. Please include your name, your location, your wishes, your souls description, and a return address with the parcel.
My Promises to You:
1. If you take me seriously, I will take your requests seriously as well.
2. I will love your soul like I love my own.
3. I will keep it safe and out of danger.
What I Will Be Doing With Your Soul:
1. I will carry out your requests and place your soul in my care, in the spot of your choosing for one year.
2. I will photograph it in said spot.
3. I will mail your soul back to you in April of 2010.
4. Please note that your soul and it’s vessel will be in an installation, however, I will not be opening the vessel, or revealing what is inside the vessel to anyone.
Serious Inquires Only.
Please mail your soul and descriptions to:
157A Beverley Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
or arrange for me to receive your parcel at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your soul is large and you are concerned about postage, I am willing to help you out.I am also willing to pick up your soul anywhere you are willing to leave it.
All submissions are due MARCH 31ST, 2009.
Frequently Asked Questions (mostly by my boyfriend and my mum):
Q: So, if someone tells you to bake their soul cookies everyday, are you going to?
A: I am choosing to put my trust in friends and strangers. I am choosing to put my trust in you. If that is truly what your soul needs, then I will. But please, be conscious of what I am offering. Please be conscious of the time that I am willing to invest in your soul.
Q: What’s the point?
A: I am taking time out of my day to invest time in you. I am taking the time to nurture your soul. Perhaps think about what a soul actually is. Perhaps think about what it means to you. Maybe then, the answers will come. If then the answers have not come to you, please email me and we can talk about it. I encourage you to read about what a soul is and the varying contexts of it’s meaning. A further description of my intent for the project will be stated in my artist statement at a later date.
Q: What if someone sends you something perishable?
A: Do you think your soul is perishable? Perhaps you are telling me then that your soul is dying. If so, I will do my best to comfort it in it’s time of need. I will do my best to prolong it’s life if that’s your wish. I will document it’s life and keep a record of it’s death, if that’s your wish. You may include these wishes in the descriptions I asked for.
Posted by BROOKE MANNING at 1:13 PM 2 comments